BIG OOPS, I missed Week 20, which would have been exactly the halfway point of this pregnancy! I was too busy celebrating my two dear friends’ engagement to update!
What’s New This Week: Over Labor Day weekend, my friends and I made the long and tiring 10 hour drive up to Napa for our friends’ engagement celebration. Right before we left, I decided to measure my belly (because I had every intention of blogging about Week 20). My belly remained the same as it had been for the past month (33.5 inches) so it wasn’t that exciting. Over the weekend, however, everyone kept exclaiming how it looked like my belly grew overnight – they were stunned at the difference. I kept shaking my head in denial, insisting it must be because of what I was wearing. Certain clothes have a way of masking the belly a lot better than others.
Lo and behold, I measure my belly again after the trip and discovered my belly grew nearly 2 inches over the weekend! My friends weren’t exaggerating or imagining things… my belly really did explode overnight! I’m starting to feel myself taking big gulps of air because my lung capacity has decreased significantly. Baby is taking up quite a bit of room and pushing the rest of my organs aside. I also waddle a lot like this sucker these days:
People characterize the second trimester as the “honeymoon stage” because that’s when morning sickness subsides in most women. Because I didn’t experience much of that, I can’t say that this trimester has been that much better than the first. It’s getting increasingly difficult to find clothes that make me feel comfortable, yet I’m trying to hold off on buying too much maternity wear. Bending down can be a chore at times too. I’m not used to the restrictions that come with this new body, so I’m learning to adjust…
Anyway, I just wanted to share the few reasons why I started this Baby Blog:
- For my husband and I to be able to look back on all this one day and remember this special time.
- For our friends who are far away and can’t be here with us on a day-to-day basis.
- For our daughter to read this when she’s older and see how loved and cherished she was from the moment of conception.
With that said, I’m going to share the next thing at the embarrassment of S, but also for our daughter to know we were with her every step of her development process.
Ever since S discovered that our baby could now hear our voices, he’s started singing to her nightly (he’s cute, isn’t he? hehe yea yea gag if you want). He’ll lay on my belly and sing a Korean lullabye that his mom always sang to him. It’s such a cute song and it goes something like this:
San-toki, toki-ya; Uh-dee-reul gah-neu-nyah?
Kang-choong, kang-choong tee-myun-suh;
Mountain Bunny, Bunny…
Where are you going?
Bouncing, Bouncing as you’re running….
Week 21 Day 5
Weighing in at: 135 lbs. Belly Size: 35.2 inches
How Baby is Growing:
- Your baby now weighs about three-quarters of a pound and is approximately 10 1/2 inches long.
- You may feel like she’s practicing martial arts as her initial fluttering movements turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges.
- Your baby’s eyebrows and lids are present now, and if you’re having a girl, her vagina has begun to form as well.
- Baby gulps down several ounces of amniotic fluid every day, both for hydration and nutrition and to practice swallowing and digesting. And, these days, those taste buds actually work!
- Studies show that after birth, babies are most interested in tastes they’ve already experienced through amniotic fluid. Meaning, think about what you want your future child to eat as you prepare your own lunch.